It’s easy to get stuck in a salad rut. Here are some ways to shake up your salad routine.
1. Go Seasonal
Fresh corn is in season and Trader Joe’s offers tasty options. Try this romaine with roasted corn, bacon and bleu cheese dressing.
- Halve a romaine heart.
- Drizzle with your favorite salad dressing (Newman’s Own Bleu Cheese pictured).
- Top with Roasted Corn and Bacon Bits.
- Don’t be afraid to use your hands.
2. Use Fresh and Roasted Vegetables
DYK? Streets Market and Café changes the selection of roasted and marinated vegetables daily. Make a delicious salad with roasted eggplant, squash, zucchini, red onions, red and green peppers and top it with sesame dressing.
- Shred romaine.
- Toss roasted vegetables in sesame dressing (Kraft Asian
Toasted Sesame pictured).
- Top with fresh scallions.
3. Change up your BASE!
Not all salads have to start with leafy greens!
For this healthy option, all you need is cucumber, tomato, feta and parsley!
- Dice cucumber.
- Halve cherry tomatoes.
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, parsley.
- Toss vegetables.
- Top with feta and more parsley.
4. Get Pickled!
Pickled golden beets and kimchi are both gems you can pick up from the Fermentation Brothers, a regular stall at the 14th and U Streets Farmers Market. Try a cucumber, apple, kimchi and pickled golden beets salad. Both sweet and savory!
- Dice apples and cucumber (Granny Smith apples pictured).
- Roughly chop kimchi and pickled beets.