Introducing a brand new health and fitness podcast by Exercise Science enthusiast, Bo Hickey. Bo grew up outside of Philadelphia and attended Penn State University for a B.S. in Kinesiology-Fitness Studies, after which he pursued his M.S. in Kinesiology and Exercise Science right here in DC, at The George Washington University.
Bo’s background is chock-full of fitness-related experience—from leading youth, high school, and college students through speed and agility programs designed to increase athletic performance, to serving as a TRX and Boot Camp instructor at DC’s Reformation Fitness, to serving as a Recreation Assistant to the U.S. Department of Defense at the U.S. Naval base in Yokosuka, Japan. Currently, he serves as the Assistant Director of Facilities and Operations at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
Bo started his podcast, Bomenclature in the Spring of 2016 in an effort to further learn more about his passion—health, wellness, and fitness—from fellow experts and enthusiasts around the country.
With the end of summer approaching and temperatures at an all time high, it’s possible you have a vacation or two planned to get away and spend some time relaxing. You’ve probably worked hard at getting and maintaining that hot summer bod and are feeling really confident in how you look and feel, so don’t let it go to waste. While vacations are a great time to “splurge” a little bit and get out of your normal routine, try not to undo all of your hard work once you get there with an overindulgent week. The next time you have a vacation planned, keep these helpful healthy tips in mind, to keep you on track and allow you to enjoy your well earned vacation, while also looking the part.
1. Plan a Workout – set aside some time during your day to participate in physical activity. Whether it be body weight exercises, plyometric activity, a long walk, or a stretching session, give yourself the opportunity to move, and perhaps sweat a little. It will give you more energy for those vacation days and can give you an opportunity to explore your environment!
2. Explore the Outdoors By Foot – if you’re traveling to a new city, beach or environment, take the opportunity to explore your surroundings. Walking places versus relying on modes of transportation will increase that step count, and may even allow you to bump into a hidden gem that location has to offer.
3. Pack Games/Toys/Fitness Equipment -what you choose to pack in your suitcase can totally influence what you have the ability to do while on your trip. If you’re planning on spending time outdoors or on a beach, bring a frisbee, football or kite to get you moving. These activities can be fun and playful, but also get you burning calories.
4. Don’t Overindulge on Wasted Calories – while it’s important to enjoy yourself and eat/drink delicious things while away, don’t eat/drink just for the sake of it. Perhaps pack healthy snacks and or breakfast options so that you don’t have to spend every meal eating out at restaurants. This will also make the moments where you choose to eat out more worthwhile and guilt free.
5. Have fun! Being stress free, relaxed and happy is the best way to be on a vacation. So enjoy it! You will feel better and come back feeling revitalized!