If you’re anything like me, I love to meal prep on the weekend (or have my boyfriend meal prep on the weekend) so that I have food prepared during the week to allow for more time for myself after work, and less overall stress during my week. When it comes to snack bars, sometimes it can be better and more fun to make your own to add your own personal twist, substitute sugar and additives for healthier options, and create bulk quantities. The following recipe is the perfect snack to take to work, school, the gym, on the go, etc. Below, you can find this delicious recipe, and don’t be afraid to switch it up!
Ingredients: (Makes 12 bars)
4 tbsp (¼ cup) peanut butter or nut butter of choice
¼ cup honey or brown rice syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 cups puffed rice
¼ cup cashew nuts
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
3 tsp mixed black and white sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a 20cm square baking pan with baking paper. Ensure that the baking paper overhangs the sides so you can easily remove the snack bars from the pan.
- Place the peanut butter, honey and vanilla in a small saucepan over a low heat. Heat gently until the peanut butter has softened and the ingredients are well combined, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, place the puffed rice, cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in a large bowl and until well combined.
- Pour over the peanut butter and honey mixture and mix until well combined and the rice mixture is completely coated with the peanut butter and honey mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press down with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the snack bars from the pan using the overhang of the baking paper and cut into 12 bars using a sharp knife.
- Wrap each bar individually in plastic film and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. These wrapped bars can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, just thaw before enjoying!