When focusing on our diet, it is important to not only look at what you eat and how much of it you’re eating, but you need to also pay attention to when you eat. For instance, fruit is a healthy food, as a general rule, but for those looking to lose weight they should make sure they’re not eating fruit in the late afternoon and evening. Fruit is high in carbohydrates, sugar, and is slow to breakdown. So, although you may be opting for a bowl of fruit as a snack or dessert instead of a cookie, you may not be doing as much for your diet as you may think.
Begin aware of the time of day, when planning meals and snacks, is an easy way to make small, effective changes. Below are some other insider tips to help you more effectively plan your food for the day, because let’s be honest, we’re always thinking about the next meal we’re going to eat.
• Your largest meal should be breakfast or lunch
• Yes! You can eat carbs (the more complex the better) but eat them early in the day
• Aim to eat something every 2-3 hours. This helps keep the body fueled and can help speed up your metabolism.
• Keep your carbs low in the afternoon and evening. Look for veggie or greek yogurt snacks.
• Remember to always stay hydrated and drink a lot of water throughout the day.
By: James Parker Ashley