Let’s talk food! It’s no secret diet and nutrition play a major role in our lives. Without proper nutrition, the body cannot and will not adapt to forced change, i.e. maintenance, bulk or shred. When we don’t eat upon waking and then workout; we deprive our metabolism of fuel to burn for energy shutting down ATP.
In addition to the harsh physical effects there are emotional and mental effects. Nutrition is a vital role in our moods, cognitive response, neuro receptors, sleep, and of course our eating patterns.
What to do before and after a workout:
- Eat! Eat! And Eat! Before a workout.
- Carb based and medium glycemic foods like bananas, apples, nut butters are great pre-workout fuel.
- Hydrate before workouts. Try to consume water before working out to avoid dehydration.
- Post workout is time to replenish and recover. A low glycemic carbohydrate and high protein diet is great to begin rebuilding muscle tissue and also restore energy.
- Eat organic, pesticide free, no – GMO, hormone free foods!
Most importantly and to put it simply, the body is a fantastic and beautiful machine. Treat it well through whole organic foods and it will be good to you!
By: MINT Studios GM, Liz Harvey