Naturally, humans are creatures of habit and routine. Usually, when we find an exercise or fitness routine that we like, and maybe even see results from (if that’s you’re goal) then we like to stick to that routine. Now, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with heading to the same class, the same elliptical, or even picking up the same weights. However you choose to move your body and prioritize your health, both physical and mental, we’re fans of it! But there are some benefits that do come with varying your fitness routine. Your body and your brain both reap the benefits of trying new activities, stimulating different muscle groups, and preventing boredom.
Switching up your fitness routine can…
- Help prevent overuse injuries
- By mixing up your workouts you can give any overused muscles and joints a chance to rest and recover. Performing a different activity that doesn’t strain the same part of the body is always great! It’s all about balance.
- Build new muscles
- When it comes to recreational exercises we recommend doing a little bit of everything! Doing this will allow you to build a strong heart and powerful body. By adding variety to your workouts you not only prevent overuse injuries but it gives you the opportunity to give some TLC to different muscle groups you may be inadvertently ignoring with your typical routine. The more you work all of your muscles the stronger your entire body becomes.
- Beat boredom and keep your brain healthy
- Adding variety helps keep your workouts from getting stale. By taking new classes or trying different equipment your brain is also learning new skills that help keep your brain sharp. The key to beating boredom and keeping your brain healthy is to choose exercises that keep you engaged.
- Help you meet new workout partners
- As you probably know, we’re advocates for workout buddies! Having a partner to work out with is a great way to stay engaged and committed. Trying a new class is a great way to meet new people who likely have similar interests, at the very least, similar fitness interests!
- Help you break through plateaus
- When you do the same activity all the time your body gets used to it. So, regardless if your goal is weight loss, strength training, flexibility, or anything in between, it’s important to continuously challenge yourself. Whenever you introduce a new exercise or activity your body will have to work harder allowing you to push through and continue to grow to achieve your goals. Always remember that success is never linear. Periods of plateau, growth, and regression are all natural and necessary in reaching your goals.
Now… what do you do next to add more variety to your fitness routine? We recommend checking out our class schedule linked here or connecting with a personal trainer. Our class offerings include MINT Ride Cycle, Signature Power Playground/HIIT, Power Row, FLEX Strength Training, MINT Barre, MINT Box, Dance, Yoga, TRX, Mat Pilates, and Meditation.
Interested in some one-on-one attention? We recommend connecting with one of our talented and knowledgeable personal trainers. Learn more about our personal training here.